Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dassi Love

I opened the huge, heavy, swing door into what was possibly the biggest luxury suite that I had ever seen.


This beautifully decorated 'house' was to be my home for two blissful days. Nature was brought inside with textured organic cloth, mute colours and an occasional splash of mauve in the decor.


I felt immediately at home as I tried out one of the comfy chairs, tucked into the homemade biscuits and turned on the enormous shower head.


Set high on the edge of a rock kopje (hill) overlooking miles of bush, I felt like Repunzel up there.

The bed was a double and enormous.

As is often the case for me on one of these business trips, I felt an inkling of regret as I wondered where my Robert Redford was hiding? Perhaps if my hair was a bit longer and I dropped it over the balcony, who knows who might climb up...

As Winnie the Poo said to Piglet, "It's so much friendlier with two."

Still, reminding myself firmly that you can 'only be alone if you are in the mind' I decided to strip off and jump into the cold 'infinity-edged' plunge pool. It seemed like a good distraction!

From there, I sat on the pool side, naked and free, watching two elephants, a mother and baby, winding their trunks around each other at the edge of the waterhole. Pangs of the missing Robert Redford faded as I read my book, chilled to some music and occasionally looked up to watch the antics of these impressive beasts.

As the sun started to set, it was time to be sociable.

I filled the huge 'ball and claw' bath with bubbles and eased myself in, skin still a little tender from a day outside.

The bathroom was all glass so that the views of the bush could continue to be appreciated as I washed behind my ears and hummed to myself.


Suddenly, I got that feeling of being watched.

The sun was throwing a beautiful orange hue onto the rock face. I held my breath (a habit I have when I'm nervous) and my eyes scanned the area.

Then I noticed them.

There must have been 50 at least, huddled together for warmth, due to their notoriously poor temperature regulation.

The rock hyrax or 'dassi'.

About one third of the size of a Corgi, rotund, furry and comical, these inquisitive animals could well be mistaken for over-sized guinea pigs! They are found all over Africa and are well-known inhabitants of Table Mountain.


I slipped carefully out of the bath, still covered in bubbles, and slowly opened the glass door. Squatting down on my haunches, I stared at them. Two can play at that game...

It was such a still moment as we sat there watching each other. Still and happy. I chatted to them under my breath. They were like a moving carpet, quiet but sometimes heads would turn, a scratch would be had or a foot would be lifted.

Eventually, I stood up, made two claws with my hands, stuck my tongue out and roared at them! Simultaneously jerking their heads in surprise, they scattered like a shot, leaving me chuckling and thinking that they were not quite the company Repunzel was hoping for....

2 comments:

  1. I am beginning to respond to your natural talent for writing.
    You are getting so more real..... it's refreshing.
    For a moment, I wished I were Robert Redford... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! You are not allowed to say things like that Fausto - you know the problem I have with my mind :)
    Huggggs from Durban and what is about to be a busy conference...

    ReplyDelete