Friday, January 1, 2010

New Eyes

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
MARCEL PROUST


As I pick over the last 10 years and look forward to the next decade, I find more and more drive to live in the present, without judgement, without barriers.

I long to be free of the filter of the mind that causes so much suffering.

I long to have new eyes.

As I bid farewell to Mozambique, my mind flicks over some of the stand out images...

1. Snorkelling over a big purple star fish who was hugging a rock on the sea floor. The rays of the sun were hot on my back as I stretched out my arms and legs to mirror the star shape below. The sun's rays penetrated the clear water and for a few moments there was a stillness. There was no separation between us.

2. Walking out to sea under a full moon, knee deep in water. We were close to the equator. The tide was low and our shadows, as we walked and talked, were tiny. The sand was white and rippled under foot and our skin, in the florescent light, was a dark brown.

3. We walked up the steps into a huge thatched sala tucked away on the other side of the island. Stakes surrounded us burning with fire, the table was laid on the beach, the stars were huge above and a campfire blazed. A gasp at the beautiful sight found me spontaneously holding hands with a man I had only just met. The innocence of it was childlike.

4. As I stood on the roof terrace of Ibo Island Lodge the energy vibration of a pink sun setting was palpable. With rock shandy in hand, I curled up on the bright cushions laying my head sideways on the cold white washed stone. I looked out onto a bay dotted with the shadows of fishing boats. Friends were chatting in the background and there was a moment of peace. A short but welcome release from the underlying anxiety that had been hounding me.

5. The swing chair at Ibo Island Lodge reminded me so much of lazy summer days in my hammock as a child. The sky was so blue as I spread my hand open in front of it, looking up. The palm trees were swaying in the background and cast beautiful shadows onto the ground below. It was as if nobody could see me there. I could have stayed there forever in that space. The white, colonial building, the wind in the trees, the swimming pool, the bright colours, the birdsong...

Farewell blue, hello green.......

2 comments:

  1. Great images and words Lou - Happy New Year from all of us in Cork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan - Happy New Year back and a big hug to all of you.

    ReplyDelete